This is an archive of the Treatment Action Campaign's public documents from
December 1998 until October 2008. I created this website because the TAC's
website appears unmaintained and people were concerned that it
increasingly hard to find important documents.
The menu items have
been slightly edited and a new stylesheet applied to the site. But none of the
documents have been edited, not even for minor errors. The text appears on this
site as obtained from the Internet Archive.
The period covered by
the archive encompassed the campaign for HIV medicines, the civil disobedience
campaigns, the Competition Commission complaints, the 2008 xenophobic violence
and the PMTCT, Khayelitsha health workers and Matthias Rath court cases.
5 March 2001: International Day of Action Against Pharmaceutical Company ProfiteeringTAC called for an international day of action against pharmaceutical company profiteering at the expense of the lives of people with HIV/AIDS. On 5 March, activist groups around the world will held protest actions to denounce the litigation being pursued by the pharmaceutical companies against the South African government.
Read about the court case.
Read the endorsement statement
Protests also took place demanding that the US government drop its complaint against Brazil at the WTO.
Worldwide Calender for 5 March 2001 (in alphabetical order by country)
- 17 Feb to 5 March: Gathering signatures for open letter to Glaxo SmithKline.
- Sydney: 3 March: Global Treatments Access Network (Aust) group in the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade on night of 3 March. -- Contact .
- Brazilian activists will use the international day of action to launch a campaign to make Brazilians aware of the PMA court case against the South African government and the US complaint against Brazil at the WTO. -- Contact Ezio Santos-Filho .
- Toronto: 12:15, Protest outside US Consulate at the US Consulate 360 University Avenue. (preceded by a press conference at 11:15 AM at the Marriott Courtyard Hotel, Yonge Street) -- Contact Canadian Treatment Advocates Council (CTAC) at or AIDS Action Now!
- Vancouver: 12:00, Protest outside the World Trade Centre at Canada Place, right beside the Pan Pacific Hotel, Waterfront SkyTrain. Protest against the USA government using the WTO to protect pharmaceutical company profits and the PMA lawsuit against South Africa. -- Contact or phone 893-2239.
- Copenhagen: 2 March, Protest in front of Novo Nordis against two Danish companies who are supporting the legal action against the SA government. Contact Morten Nielsen, Southern Africa Contact Phone: +45 25 39 65 57.
- Paris: ACT-UP Paris is organising an action in the financial district. -- Contact Khalil at .
- Activists will will send open letters to the government asking for support for South Africa in the court case. Activists will also ask German companies involved to withdraw from the court case. Contact Ralf Berger, Afrika-Süd-Aktionsbündnis, Bonn .
ItalyRome: 1 March, 2001: Activists are organising a postcard campaign against TRIPS. The postcards will be delivered to the Italian Prime Minister. Contact Mauro Guarinieri or Italian Community Advisory Board () or phone +39 051 26 16 76 or mobile +39 347 96 31 837.
- Manila: Gay and health activists will picket outside the Department of Health in