The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) is the leading HIV/AIDS advocacy organization in South Africa. TAC welcomes international volunteers if they meet the organizations requirements. TACs volunteer program is not an internship or training program the main goal of the program is to provide assistance to the organization wherever needed.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers usually work within the national office in Muizenberg, a suburb of Cape Town, doing a variety of tasks depending on the needs of the staff and organization, such as:
- Administrative tasks -- preparing mailings, updating or creating databases, cataloguing materials, etc.
- Programmatic tasks -- research, assisting with campaigns, developing fact sheets and other materials, etc. Often volunteers will pair up with specific staff members and work with them on their projects.
As a campaign oriented organization, workload can vary. TAC cannot guarantee consistent work for volunteers.
What are the eligibility requirements?
TAC volunteers are generally under-graduate, graduate, or post-graduate students. In addition, we require:
- A commitment to working at least 12 consecutive weeks, at least three days a week.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of another South African language is a plus.
- Computer skills
- Some knowledge of HIV/AIDS issues (political as well as scientific) and the TAC (check tac.org.za for useful background information)
How do you apply to volunteer?
If you are interested in volunteering, please send CV, cover letter and a completed application form to . The application is available for download here. Please meet the following application deadlines:
If you are applying to volunteer sometime betwen January through June, please apply by late September. If you are applying for the June through September period, please apply by late February. If you are applying for the September through December period, please apply by late May.
Once you have been accepted as a volunteer, if you require documents for entry into South Africa (e.g. a letter of invitation to give to the embassy), please draft the letter and e-mail it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org where we will review it, print it on letterhead, sign it, and fax it back to you or to the South African Embassy (please provide detailed information for faxing).
What about funding for my stay in South Africa?
Unfortunately, TAC is unable to pay international volunteers or provide reimbursement for travel, local transport, or living expenses. We are happy to help with advice and guidance on issues such as housing and transportation and offer volunteers a useful guide to living and working in Cape Town. If you are applying for independent funding to subsidize your volunteering and require a letter from TAC, please draft the letter and e-mail it as an attachment to email@example.com where we will review it, print it on letterhead, sign it and fax it back to you or whomever you designate (please provide detailed information for faxing).