This is an archive of the Treatment Action Campaign's public documents from December 1998 until October 2008. I created this website because the TAC's website appears unmaintained and people were concerned that it
was becoming increasingly hard to find important documents.

The menu items have been slightly edited and a new stylesheet applied to the site. But none of the documents have been edited, not even for minor errors. The text appears on this site as obtained from the Internet Archive.

The period covered by the archive encompassed the campaign for HIV medicines, the civil disobedience campaigns, the Competition Commission complaints, the 2008 xenophobic violence and the PMTCT, Khayelitsha health workers and Matthias Rath court cases.

Nandipha Makeke case resumes in Khayelitsha Magistrates Court on 5 March

TAC mobilisation against gender-based violence continues


On Tuesday 26 February 2008 approximately 60 TAC members gathered outside the Khayelitsha Magistrates Court yet again to lend support to the family of Nandpiha Makeke (a TAC activist who was murdered and raped on 16 December 2005) and to protest against gender based violence. The case has been repeatedly heard and postponed since 2005 leading to over 20 court appearances on different dates, spanning over two years. Evidence was finally heard with two positive outcomes.

Accused number one gave a confession shortly after the original assault which he has since attempted to withdraw. The presiding judge dismissed his alternative account and judged the confession to be “fairly given, without coercion, and fully admissible.” Secondly, the DNA evidence taken from semen at the scene was not contested and judged admissible. Due to the failure of one of the defence lawyers to read a relevant  submission the case was postponed again until 5 March 2008. TAC activists will once again gather inside and outside the Khayelitsha Magistrates Court to ensure justice is done.



Update on Nandipha Makeke case as of 18 March 2008

On Monday 17 March, two of the four accused (numbers 2 and 4) were acquitted due to lack of evidence. Apparently they remain in custody because they are accused of other crimes, but I do not have definite confirmation of this.

On 18 March, while one of the remaining accused was being cross-examined, there was a power failure in Khayelitsha and the case was adjourned until 31 March.